Many individuals can provide the support you or your child needs. Qualifications, training, and specializations can vary, so here’s a quick overview.

A CALT, or Certified Academic Language Therapist, must complete a minimum of 200 instructional hours and a minimum of 700 clinical hours in a Multisensory Structured Language Education program accredited by the International Multisensory Structured Language Education Council, or IMSLEC, and subsequently sit for and pass an alliance exam. Successful completion of the training program and exam results in certification by the Academic Language Therapy Association.

An LDT, or Licensed Dyslexia Therapist, is a Certified Academic Language Therapist who has obtained a license through The State of Texas to practice dyslexia therapy. LDTs hold advanced degrees and their licensure is regulated by the State through the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation.

A CALP, or Certified Academic Language Practitioner, has completed teacher level training (minimum 45 instructional hours/60 clinical hours)  in an accredited Multisensory Structured Language Education program. A CALP is eligible to become a CALT once all requirements of therapist-level training and certification have been completed.

To find a CALT in your area, search the member directory of the Academic Language Therapy Association.

To find an IDA certified therapist or practitioner, search the IDA Directory of Structured Literacy Professionals.